Skip to main content

Book Review : Winter Poems ~ Sabarna Roy



Name - Winter Poems
Author - Sabarna Roy
Pages - 62 pages
Genre - Poetry
Format - Kindle Edition

As the title says itself, the book is a collection of different poems highlight various aspects of life and death. The poems are mainly inspired by the mild season that prevails in Kolkata portraying myriad shades of humans.

Some of these deals with imaginations of death and home while others with the idea of loss and coming to terms with gradual wasting of life.

I really loved reading this book. Every poem is different from each other yet connected with each other in an unusual way. The writer talks about everything, the valleys, winter, complex human relations and foremost important death. The way he describes death, the parting with each other, that line makes us sad but it's beautiful as well. One of the poem related to death that literally shook me was ~ "They forgot to put my body on fire, on freshly chopped logs of wood, oil crackling and boiling". This particular one gave me goosebumps and the surroundings we are living today, it all made sense, I felt each and every line. 💔

Another poem which I loved reading was 2nd one. The author describes two contrasting ceremonies in the poem. One is the loud birthday bash and other is death anniversary of a teeanger. What caught me is this line ~ "Why do we celebrate birthday so pompously when they bring us a year closer to death?"

Honestly saying, I fear death. I always find myself thinking about it that what if death occurs, after that what will happen, how will it come, what will we feel in the final moments etc. I just can't stop thinking about and this poem kinda triggered me to think more about it. But it's all good in the end. I loved his perception about it.

The language Sabarna Roy used is not quite easy, new readers might find it difficult to read for the first time, I myself read 2-3 times, but it's all good in the hood. It's a beautiful book for sure, it makes the reader goes through a lot of emotions. The poems of the book are free verse poetry, they do not follow any meter. He has beautifully portrayed his thoughts and feelings. Will recommend to everyone who read poems, this one is really good. I really don't read poems but this book caught me with its cover only and I had ti read it then. What a beautiful cover it is.

In the end Sabarna has ended the book with this amazing poem which became my favourite of all and which is also the headline of this review ~

" It's a sunny day, it's a happy day. Happiness - will you stay my way?"

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite books by Penguin India - #TheBookBlogTrain

Hello Friends! Yes. I am again the part of #TheBookBlogTrain. Season 1 was damn good. I started my journey of writing blogs from there and it was obvious for me to return to the base and participate in Season 2 as well! :) Here, you can read my Season 1 blog - " Top 5 favorite authors"  https://bookishthings2009.blogspot.com/2019/03/my-top-5-favourite-authors.html And here I go! Books play an important role in readers life. It changes one's perspective about life, about own self. They will expand your mind and may change your way to live. I am reading books since Class 3 and now, it's a practise that I follow religiously. It was difficult for me to select most favorite books as I love all of them. But, I have to do it, so here they are... 5 favorite books from Penguin India are : 1. THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS - ARUNDHATI ROY This was the first book I have ever read of her. My friends recommended read this to me and I'm glad they did. T he book is

Monsoon Cravings ~ Rain Special Blog #BirthdayBlogTrain

Monsoon is one such season which is loved by everyone. Fresh air, breezy days, cloudy skies and muddy aroma. And as the dark clouds roll in, we got some enormous cravings as well. So, lets relish some delicious delicacies from kitchens across the country which are loved by everyone... Kachori-Jalebi Deep-fried, carbs...the kachori and jalebi are guilty on all counts. The kachori filling varies - onion, green peas, a spicy lentil or potato mix are some favourites in North India. And the jalebi - a fried syrupy snack - hot and crispy from kadhai, is a perfect ending to kachori indulgence. Bhutta   Monsoons are incomplete without getting caught in the rain and relishing some charcoal roasted bhutta with a drizzle of salt and lime. The crunch of that will make the perfect and comfortable setting on windy and rainy days. Garam adrak chai Nothing is more typically monsoon than rain soaked hair and kadak chai w

A Letter to my Bookstagram ~ #TheBookBlogTrain

"And suddenly you know... it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings." Dear theintrovertbibliophile, It's been exactly 4 months today since we are together and I'm glad you came into my life like a surprise and the journey has been amazing since then. You know, I am reading books for a very long time but never had anyone to discuss them, how one feels whenever they finish some book and had no idea what to do next! But then, I stumbled upon some bookish profiles which gave me a boost up of why not to make one separate bookish account..! After learning a bit about bookstagram, you finally came into existence on Jan 28, 2019 and since then,  there was no looking back. We made many bibliophile friends, you introduced me to the new books, authors, various book clubs, buddy reading and yes, giveaways  which just made me so happy and exhilarated. In short, you introduced me to a whole new world! 😍😍  Though sometimes, you